And don't forget the cake.
- That's a blue cake!
- I've never seen a blue cake before.
- Hunh. Neither have I.
- Neither have I!
- Me neither!
- But what's it made of?
- You put sand on there? [I didn't.]
- I get the first piece because it's my birthday! [At least my son was willing to go first.]
And then some more:
- But how did you get it so blue? Is the ocean even that blue? [...]
Until a bit of vindication. Sort of:
- Can I have the recipe so my mother can make it too? She never makes blue cake. If you don't have children of your own (yes that is handmade "gold" bullion in the background), you may be under the impression that a children's birthday party is merry, and relaxed. This is not the case.
And this is why you've suddenly reached the end of this particular tale: I'm still recovering.